There are 4 simple guidelines to follow when constructing Expressions using the Expression-Builder:
- Start typing in the Expression-Box.
- Use the suggestions provided at each word.
- Navigate back and forth between words using the and keys. You can also navigate to a word by clicking on it.
- Use the toolbar buttons provided for each word/phrase as needed.
Example: We'll construct this simple Expression following the above guidelines:
PRODUCT(100, SALES, PROFIT)
- We'll start by typing the word
PRODUCTinto the Expression-Box.
- As we type, we'll get a list of matching suggestions as indicated in the image. We'll navigate to the desired suggestion using and keys and then hit the key to select it. We can also click the suggestion with mouse.
- On selecting the
PRODUCTFunction, we'll get two text-boxes to type the Function-Arguments. Type
100for the first Argument. Hit the key to navigate to the second Argument. Type
- Since we need a third Argument, click the button from the toolbar to add another Argument to the Function. Type
See Examples of Building Expressions for more complex examples.
Vizard provides convenient shortcuts for each of the Toolbar buttons. Memorizing these shortcuts will make it faster to build Expressions. Below is a list of all possible Toolbar buttons and their shortcuts:
|(||Wraps the current word in Parentheses.|
|Ctrl + (||Removes Parentheses.|
|,||Adds a new Argument after the current Argument.|
|Shift + ,||Removes the current Argument.|
|Adds an Operator after the current word.|
|Ctrl + F||Adds a Filter inside a Function. See Filters in Functions for details.|
|Ctrl + Shift + F||Removes the current Filter.|
|Ctrl + G||Adds Grouping inside a Function. See Grouping in Functions for details.|
|Ctrl + Shift + G||Removes the current Grouping.|
|Removes the content of the current word/phrase.|
Some of these shortcuts are disabled when the current word can have custom Text content. Take this example Question:
STRINGCONCAT(STATE, ",", CITY)
When typing comma in the second Argument, since typing comma should not lead to a new argument, that shortcut is disabled.
In these cases, you'll have to click the Toolbar buttons for the desired functionality.
Please note that these shortcuts are NOT supported on devices with a Touch-Screen.
Please press the Toolbar buttons directly to use them.